DIY Ideas for Every Season
If you are planning to redecorate or rearrange a room in your home, it is worthwhile to think about the seasons and take inspiration depending on the time of year. For example, summer is the perfect time to use any outdoor space you have, whether it’s a garden or a balcony. On the other hand, winter is the ideal time to make your interiors as cozy and inviting as possible. One of the best tasks to do before any interior design job is to declutter the space, and the best time for that is, naturally, the spring!
Spring Cleaning and DIY
As the days grow longer and the temperatures start to thaw, spring is a great time to open your windows, let the fresh air circulate and declutter any areas of your home that may need it. Whether it is kitchen cupboards, bookshelves, your home office, or a wardrobe, getting rid of old items you no longer need can be refreshing. It is best to donate or sell any items that you no longer need, or perhaps host a swap party with friends and family.
Upcycling or repairing any broken items may also be part of a spring-cleaning project. When repairing any household items, remember that using a suitable glue, such as one from lepage.ca, may be the easiest and quickest method of repair. Research what to know about glues and adhesives before undertaking any repair jobs and select the best substance for the material – whether it’s wood, plastic, tile, metal or porcelain, there will be a durable glue available that can be used for a super quick and long-lasting fix. Upcycling furniture and household items gives things a second lease of life and is also much cheaper – not to mention more -environmentally friendly – than by simply replacing them.
Easy Summer DIY Projects
Summer is a wonderful time to celebrate the outdoors and make the most of your garden or balcony. Any outdoor space can act as an extra room in your home once summer rolls around. With the right garden furniture, and maybe a fire pit or a pizza oven, you will have a great place to host family and friends for summer parties. Adding seasonal plants, shrubs and flowers is a superb way to make sure your garden looks great for the sunny months. Additionally, using accessories such as outdoor lighting, water features and cushions can also help create a relaxed outdoor space that is ideal for lounging around on sunny evenings and weekends.
Bring the outdoors indoors during the summer months by adding some plants and greenery to your kitchen, living room or hallway. Summer is an excellent time to start a herb garden on your kitchen window sill, for example. Plants add freshness and help cleanse the air around the house, making them an ideal accessory all year round.
Autumn is perhaps the best time of year to start adding warmth to your home. This can easily be done through textiles, a new wall colour or lighting. Home accessories are inexpensive and are a very effective way to update your home for the Autumn season. Some of the top decor items for Autumn include the following:
- Lighting is especially important once the darker evenings roll around. Choose lamps and lighting with warm bulbs to create a cozy atmosphere
- Smart lighting is an excellent way to adapt the light in your home all year round
- Textiles such as sheepskin rugs, knitted cushion covers and macramé wall hangings add texture and interest to a room
- Framed photos, pictures and posters can fill up empty wall spaces and add a personal touch to your home
- Scent is crucial – use scented candles or an aromatherapy diffuser with aromas like lavender, bergamot, and orange blossom for an uplifting feeling throughout the Autumn months
- If you enjoy crafting such as knitting or crochet, check out patterns for household items to create unique accessories
- Adding new curtains or bedding in a bedroom is a quick way to update your space. Fresh white linens are always chic, or add warm Autumnal shades such as olive green, yellow or terracotta
- Repainting old pieces of furniture with chalk paint and adding a coat of wax is a fun DIY project – you can update existing items on a budget and can give old furniture a completely fresh new look
Apart from decorating and performing DIY tasks according to the seasons, adding holidays decor is a fun way to dress your home. Whether it’s pumpkins and candles for Hallowe’en, fairy lights and holly for Christmas or bunting and a fabulous spread for Canada day, Whatever the occasion, holiday-based decor can add extra warmth and energy to any home.
More From The Web